Larry Benedict has an illustrious four-decade career as an investment professional. He has been an options trader, derivatives specialist, $800 million hedge fund owner, and now, a CEO of The Opportunistic Trader, LLC, an interactive trading community.
Larry Benedict isn’t your classic stock guru prodigy or overnight success. After graduating from Syracuse University’s Whitman School of Management in 1984, he cut his teeth grinding the pits of the Chicago Board of Options Exchange trading derivatives.
In his early career, many say that Larry Benedict did two things consistently: lose money and get fired. His road to success was filled with ups and downs and paved with failure. However, when Benedict saw a door cracked open to turn his career around, he didn’t take it for granted.
His career started taking off when Spear Leeds & Kellogg (SLK) brought him on board as their options specialist. Three years later, he started managing SLK’s off-floor derivative index trading, and by 1993, he became a Special Limited Partner.
Once 1995 rolled around, SLK promoted him to managing director of their newly created proprietary trading department.
Benedict continued finding success at SLK, but when Goldman Sachs purchased the Company in 2000, Benedict knew it was time to venture off on his own. He took the bull by the horns and established Banyan Equity Management, LLC.
Banyan was a short-term discretionary trading hedge fund firm. At one point, it had over $900 million worth of client assets under management, ranked as one of Barron’s Top 100 hedge funds, and in Barron’s top 1%.
Between his time as a Special Limited Partner at SLK and his regular multi-million dollar trades at Banyan, he went almost 20 years without a single losing year. His successes earned him a feature in 2012’s “Hedge Fund Market Wizards” by Jack D. Schwager.
But, in life, all good things must come to an end. The fund closed in 2018, and Benedict launched The Opportunistic Trader, LLC.
Is Larry Benedict Legit? check out our complete review
Calling The Opportunistic Trader a passion product of Larry Benedict is an understatement. It’s more of a culmination of his four-decades-long trading career.
In starting The Opportunistic Trader, Benedict built an interactive community of traders across all skill levels and asset classes. He educated them on the secrets and strategies that made him a success.
There’s something for everyone at The Opportunistic Trader. No matter who you are or what type of investor you are, the goal of The Opportunistic Trader is to help everyone become more informed and consistent traders. For small-time traders, it provides access to hedge fund-level strategies and simple, easy-to-understand trading plays that you can’t find anywhere else. For more advanced day traders, it offers invaluable resources, especially during the most volatile times.
Subscribing to The Opportunistic Trader provides:
- Access to Mr. Benedict’s latest trade recommendations.
- An extensive network of trading industry professionals.
- Exclusive trading resources.
- A daily live stream.
- Regular updates on Mr. Benedict’s latest market forecasts and portfolio positions.
Other traders on the platform have managed hundreds of millions of dollars in client assets with exceptional track records, including traders from “Market Wizards” and other NYSE trading floor legends.
The Opportunistic Trader also publishes three other monthly newsletters directly from Larry, including
While there is little info on Larry Benedict’s personal life, Mr. Benedict and The Opportunistic Trader remain as strong as ever.
- BA, Syracuse University- Whitman School of Management (1984)
- Worked on the Chicago Board of Options Exchange as a market maker in equity derivatives products.
- Hired by Spear Leeds & Kellogg (SLK) as its options specialist in the XMI Major Market Index on the American Stock Exchange.
- From 1992 to 1995, managed SLK’s off-floor derivative index trading.
- Became a Special Limited Partner in 1993.
- Became SLK’s managing director of their newly created proprietary trading department in 1995.
- Goldman Sachs purchased the Company in 2000.
- Launched Banyan Equity Management, LLC, a $900 million short-term discretionary trading hedge fund.
- Between his time as a Special Limited Partner at SLK and his regular multi-million dollar trades at Banyan, he went almost 20 years without a single losing year.
- Featured in 2012’s “Hedge Fund Market Wizards” by Jack D. Schwager.
- On numerous occasions, Banyan ranked as one of Barron’s Top 100 hedge funds and, at one point, ranked in Barron’s top 1%.
- Launched The Opportunistic Trader, LLC- the culmination of Larry Benedict’s four-decades-long trading career.
- The Opportunistic Trader is an interactive community of traders across all skill levels and asset classes.
- The platform helps small-time traders access hedge fund-level strategies and provides more experienced day traders essential resources during volatile times.
- With simple, easy-to-understand trading plays, the goal of The Opportunistic Trader is to help investors become more informed and more consistent traders through secrets and strategies that made Larry Benedict a success.
- Subscribers have access to Mr. Benedict’s latest trade recommendations, an extensive network of trading industry professionals, exclusive trading resources, a daily live stream, and regular updates on Larry’s latest market forecasts and portfolio positions.
- Traders on the platform have managed hundreds of millions of dollars in client assets with exceptional track records, including traders from the popular book series “Market Wizards” and NYSE trading floor legends.
- Provides four total newsletters from Larry Benedict himself.
- Accurately predicted the coronavirus crash and the 2022 correction.
- “He has ‘it.’ It’s hard to describe it. Why does Ichiro Suzuki repeatedly hit 350? I don’t know. Benedict is like Rain Man in that office.”- Hedge Fund Market Wizards by Jack D. Schwager