Who is Joel Litman?
Joel Litman is a respected financial expert, CFA, CPA, and author. He currently serves as CEO of Valens Research and Chief Investment Strategist of its consumer arm, Altimetry Research. He also is the creator of the popular monthly stock newsletter, Hidden Alpha, and a board member of COL Financial Group, a leading brokerage firm in Asia.
Litman is an expert in forensic accounting, financial analysis, and valuation. He revolutionized and introduced a unique analysis system called Uniform Accounting which considers hidden assets and liabilities, off-balance sheet items, and non-operating income and expenses. Litman’s approach uncovers inconsistencies between a company’s reported financial statements and actual economic performance. His insights go beyond conventional methods and garnered recognition from CNBC, Barron’s, Institutional Investor, and Forbes.
💡 Interested in Litman’s latest prediction? Learn more about his #1 stock pick and why he recommends you invest in natural gas today. 💡
Moreover, Litman’s expertise earned him invitations to speak at prestigious institutions, including the Marine Corps War College, the FBI Nationwide Forensics Conference, the U.S. Pentagon, and the world’s top CFA societies. He has also taught or guest-lectured at Harvard Business School, U Chicago Booth, Wharton, LBS, and SAIF Jiao Tong.
In addition, Litman helped build Credit Suisse’s HOLT University and the Center for S.E.V. and MBA Concentration at DePaul University.
As an author, Litman co-authored the acclaimed book “DRIVEN: Business Strategy, Human Actions, and the Creation of Wealth” in 2007. He has also contributed to publications like Harvard Business Review, SeekingAlpha, Bloomberg, and Forbes.
While there’s little info on Joel Litman’s early life, we know he graduated with a BS in Accounting from DePaul University and an MBA in Marketing, Finance, and Technology Ventures from the Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University.
Before founding Valens Research in 2009, his past employment included stints at American Express, Deloitte, Diamond Tech Partners (now PwC), and Credit Suisse.
Litman has had a lucrative career as a professor, author, and financial analyst. Learn more about Joel Litman’s net worth – and how to potentially profit by following his investing advice.
Joel Litman Review
Renowned for identifying undervalued stocks, Joel Litman is a top investment expert with a unique ability to uncover market opportunities that others miss. With his meticulous analysis of financial data, Joel’s investment research tools, including the Hidden Alpha newsletter and Altimeter research system, are unparalleled in predicting stock movements. He has a track record of accurately forecasting significant market events, including the 2008 and 2020 crashes, and identifying earnings opportunities and market distortions. For more details, check out our complete Joel Litman review.
- B.S. Accounting – DePaul University
- MBA Marketing, Finance, Technology Ventures – Kellogg Graduate School of Management at Northwestern University
- President & CEO Valens Research and Chief Investment Strategist of Altimetry Research
- 2009 – Present
- A global corporate performance and investment research and analytics firm.
- Advises institutional investors in equities, corporate credit, and macroeconomic strategy.
- Pioneered Uniform Accounting, which considers hidden assets and liabilities, off-balance sheet items, and non-operating income and expenses.
- Uncovers inconsistencies between a company’s reported financial statements and its actual economic performance.
- Altimetry Research is the consumer arm of Valens Research and a boutique financial research and publishing firm providing individual investors with unique, unbiased investment recommendations and analytics.
- Hidden Alpha newsletter is under the Altimetry Research umbrella.
- Member, Board of Directors COL Financial Group
- 2011 – Present
- Leading brokerage firm in Asia.
- Offices in Hong Kong and the Philippines.
- Focused on empowering the individual investor, COL ranks number one in daily trading volume of the PSE, and is one of the top ten brokers in the Philippines.
- Ticker symbol PSE:COL.
- Principal, IXL Center – Center for Innovation, Excellence and Leadership
- Founder, The Center for Strategy, Execution, and Valuation
- Director, Credit Suisse
- Senior Principal, Diamond Technology Partners
- Manager/Director, Deloitte/HOLT
- Manager, American Express Tax and Business Services
- Emory & Henry College
- Jan 2021 – Present
- Hult International Business School
- 2008 – Present
- An FT and Economist top-ranked international MBA program
- Teaches Business Strategy, Performance Measurement, Strategic Valuation
- DePaul University
- 1998 – Present
- Clinical Professor of Business Strategy
- Helped build the Center for S.E.V. and MBA Concentration at the Driehaus College of Commerce at DePaul University
- Played an instrumental role in building Credit Suisse’s HOLT University and the Center for S.E.V.
- Taught or guest-lectured at several top schools, such as Harvard Business School, U Chicago Booth, Wharton, LBS, and SAIF Jiao Tong.
- Spoken at prestigious institutions, including the Marine Corps War College, the FBI Nationwide Forensics Conference, and the U.S. Pentagon.
- Also has spoken at the world’s top CFA societies.
- Creator of the popular monthly stock newsletter, Hidden Alpha.
- DRIVEN: Business Strategy, Human Actions, and the Creation of Wealth
- Emphasizes the importance of understanding the true value of a business, which is often hidden by accounting tricks or manipulation.
- Provides a framework to identify the critical drivers of value and assess the management team’s ability to execute a successful strategy.
- Delves into the psychology of investors and how their emotions can impact investment decisions, leading to missed opportunities or disastrous outcomes.
- Has contributed to Harvard Business Review, SeekingAlpha, Bloomberg, and Forbes
“Joel Litman’s forensic-based research has brought me significant gains in my portfolio. Some of the stock ideas are really incredible with huge upside, and long before the rest of the Street sees it.”- Matt Rakowski, a former head of credit at Goldman Sachs
- Flights Don’t Matter to Airline Stocks – Here’s What Does- Daily Wealth, Feb. 2023
- Know the ‘Key Players’ of Your Investments- Daily Wealth, Feb. 2023
- Wall Street Wrong Again: Goldman’s “Non-Profitable” Tech Index Is Not Vindicated By Volatility- Forbes, 2021
- Economic Suicide In China- SeekingAlpha, 2016
- Give My Regrets to Wall Street- Harvard Business Review, 2004
💡 According to Joel Litman, there’s no better time to invest in natural gas. Check out his #1 stock pick for investing in the fuel of the future. 💡
Joel Litman’s #1 Stock Pick: Why Invest in Natural Gas?
I don’t agree with his party’s “progressive” policies. I don’t care for their class warfare or attacks on U.S. businesses. And I don’t like the fact...
Joel Litman: How to Profit from Financial Disaster in 2023
Hi, I'm John Sviokla – a retired Harvard Business School professor. I'm here at the Harvard Club in Boston to speak with professor and Chief...
Steve Jobs’ Final Prophecy is Coming True Right Now
Dear Reader, Hi, my name is Joel Litman. I’m a forensic accountant, which might sound boring to you... But I promise, you’ve never met an accountant...
What is Joel Litman’s Net Worth?
Joel Litman is the founder and CEO of Valens Research, a company that provides investment research and valuation services to clients. He is also the...
Joel Litman Review: Is Joel Litman Legit and Trustworthy?
Is Joel Litman legit? Discover Valens Research’s CEO’s background, real expertise, and track record in this Joel Litman review.
Joel Litman on Twitter: Decode the Predictions of a Master Analyst
Joel Litman is far from your typical accountant. To truly understand why Litman's insights captivate 10 of the world's biggest money managers and...
Hidden Alpha Review: Is Hidden Alpha Legit?
What is Hidden Alpha? Altimetry's Hidden Alpha is a proprietary investment strategy developed by Altimetry, a financial research firm. The strategy...
The Secret Behind Joel Litman’s Winning Investments: Earnings Quality
Are you baffled by the success of some stock market investors? Are you confused why some seem to win time after time while others can't catch a...
The Art and Science of Accounting-Based Investing, According to Joel Litman
Investing, for many, can feel like a daunting task. It’s not only a question of where to invest but how. However, one particular approach to...